Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Housekeeping Gene

Have you ever noticed how messy and dirty the house gets even though you've just straightened it up? I have been so frustrated at how messy mine is. But I've come to the realization that maybe I am mad at the fact that I am a really horrible housekeeper.
I try to keep up with it, I really do. But it's so hard when there is so much that needs to be done. I could say how tired I am and how sick I feel a lot of the time, which is true. But I'm finally now being honest and admitting to the real truth. It probably wouldn't matter if I were well or not. I just really hate housework.
I can't stand laundry.
I can't handle cleaning windows.
I loathe scrubbing the bathtub.
It's funny because my mom is the quintessential housekeeper. When I was growing up, I can remember that Thursdays were cleaning days. She always had (and still has) the house looking SO good. I mean, there was no dust in the house anywhere, ever. And we were a family of 6 people. I don't know how she kept the toilets clean, the kitchen spotless and the carpets vacuumed because I don't recall ever helping out a whole lot as a kid.
I say all that to say, WHY didn't I get the good housekeeping gene? I think that somehow the good housekeeping gene is linked to the good cooking gene. Somehow I missed out on this important gene strand.
Instead, I sit here in my lounge chair blogging instead of cleaning. I think I have so much more to offer than a clean house, right? I mean, there are 2 or 3 people out there who care about what I have to say so I must use this time wisely, right?
Right.
So that's why if you visit my house, you must overlook the dust, the messy windows and the less than perfect housecleaning job.
I'm just happy to have a house and a hubby that doesn't care that I didn't get the gene!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't get the housekeeping gene either! HATE cleaning the kitchen and bathroom...period. Glad to know I'm not alone. Seriously, there are TONS of things that way more important than cleaning...lol!

    ReplyDelete