Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My grumpy mind

Have you ever had days where you're just not yourself?
I have truly been a grump for these last few days. I have found myself being someone I don't want to be around, and that's not really a good thing. If I'm not mad because someone cut me off on the road, I'm upset because a situation didn't turn out to suit me quite right. I've been getting annoyed at the littlest things, some of which are beyond my control, but some that are.
Writing a blog is personal, so I will share a little why I've been grumpy. I have a lot of physical pain and lately it's been really bad. I woke up one morning last week literally screaming because I hurt so badly. I had to go to the doctor in Dallas today and he's adjusting some medications, but it makes me nervous to be on such heavy medications that have serious side affects. I think my pain, coupled with my frustration about my health, have made me feel grumpy. Some might say that it's okay to have these feelings, but inside I know it's not. I have to control my feelings of anger and frustration or they will consume me and eat me up inside. I have to count my blessings in spite of what is going on with me physically.
So I've decided tonight to give myself a little kick in the rear end by listing 20 things I am thankful for right off the spot. I want to list them randomly and quickly, and maybe I can take the focus off of myself and think about what is good about my life.
So here it goes. My 20 things I am thankful for as I lay in my bed blogging!
1. My mommy and daddy
2. Good friends who tell the truth.
3. Fall weather and being able to wear a jacket
4. Watching football on TV with my husband
5. Praise and Worship music
6. Candy corn and those little candy pumpkins.
7. My adopted Grandfather, Mr. Kelso.
8. Staying in touch with old friends via facebook.
9. Art of any kind
10. Listening to my niece's voice on the phone message machine
11. Kissing my puppy dog on the nose
12. Being able to sing and praise God
13. Being able to eat soft foods
14. My country
15. My sisters
16. A good honorable man for a husband
17. Marshmallows
18. Digital pictures
19. Freedom
20. for people who don't give up on you
These are just the top things that came quickly to my mind. I am sure that I could list so much more, but I just wanted to remind myself quickly of all I have to be thankful for so that I could stop being so negative. A lot of my negativity comes from my mind and I'll dwell on my pain if I'm not careful. So I'm pulling myself out of the grumpy mode, and every time that I'm negative, I will write down my blessings as a way to say thanks to God for His hand on my life.

1 comment:

  1. Ami,
    I have just recently started a gratitude journal. I have been impressed lately to do just as you, to focus on the positive and not the negative. To force myself to follow the command to rejoice always, in everything. Click over to Ann Voskamp, she hosts Multitude Mondays, here: http://www.aholyexperience.com/
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete