Monday, August 1, 2011

Update: Pain Pump Pulled

Well, I wanted to write an update because some people might not know what is going on with me.
Right now I am laying on a mattress in my living room here in Texas. It's so hot. I am in the living room on a mattress because I have to lay flat for 72 hours due to a spinal fluid leak and severe spinal headache.
I had the trial pain pump put in. It was placed in my spine, and things seemed to be fine. That was Wednesday. On Friday, I saw the doctors and they adjusted my medication, and I was really excited because for the first time in years, I really felt like I had minimal pain. It was exciting because I was getting relief. They wanted me to keep the trial pump in for a few more days.
Well, I woke up on Saturday morning, and I had the worst headache of my life. I had tingling down my right side, and I was miserable. Something having to do with the catheter in my back where the medication was being delivered got messed up and was hitting a nerve, and the doctor said that I had a spinal fluid leak which is causing my headache. This happened even though they did a procedure to prevent this. It still happened, but I will be okay.
So thankfully, my father in law took me this morning to Dallas and they pulled out the pain pump trial. The doctor told me I need to lay flat for 72 hours. If my headache doesn't get better, then I have to go back to get another blood patch, which will hopefully stop any spinal fluid leak. I'm hoping that I DON'T have to do that!
So I am fine, just laying flat. I can check my computer for a few minutes at a time. Please pray that I don't have to have another procedure done to fix this and that it will go away on its own.
Thanks everyone. I will update you all on how I'm doing. If I don't respond to your posts right now, it's just cause I can't get comfortable and I can't spend too much time on the computer at once. I am still positive that the pain pump is going to work because I did get relief. This will not happen with the real pump because it will be a permanent device implanted in me. I am doing fine, thanks to God and a great family.
Trust in the Lord with ALL thy heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In ALL thy Ways ACKNOWLEDGE HIM and HE will DIRECT thy paths!!!!! Prov.3:5-6

1 comment:

  1. Lying flat is miserable! I had a spinal leak after having Maggie, got a blood patch, and had to lie flat for only 24 hours. I hope you have lots to watch on TV, books to read, and can sleep a lot! If you need me, just call me. I can run anything over you might need. I bet your dogs and cat are loving you being on the floor with them! Always thinking of you! Love you lots! Amy

    ReplyDelete