Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Latest Update 2/7/12

Dearest Friends and Family,
I wanted to update you all, my friends and family, about my doctor’s appointment today and about my health in general. I know that so many of you are praying for me. I wanted to let you know what all is happening so that you can continue to pray as I update you.
My mom and dad took me to the doctor’s today and I sat with the doctor. We went over anything and I basically told her how hard things have been. I can’t eat much of anything at all. Sometimes I will get to sip a milkshake, but that’s on a good day, and most days I just exist on hot tea and some coffee when that doesn’t make me sick. I have lost a total of 60 pounds, which is good, but I am still losing the weight because I can’t eat and I’m just feeding on my J-Tube.
The doctor told me basically that there really isn’t much hope that I will ever eat normally again. She said that my disease is very unique and there aren’t very many people that have to face the kind and type of illness that I am facing. She reiterated that I have two issues, one with the stomach and one with the pancreas. Right now, they are going to focus on the stomach. Even though there is a chance I may never eat normally again, they are going to do a few things to try to help.
The first procedure they’re going to do is their going to go down my throat (do an endoscopy) and stick my stomach with Botox. It’s a muscle relaxer that is usually injected by people for wrinkles, but they’ve found it has other uses, and one of them is to help with those who have issues such as mine. It may or may not work, but it’s worth a try. They will be doing that next week sometime.
The second procedure will possibly be to put a Pacemaker in my stomach. They are not sure if I qualify for the pacemaker or not. They are consulting each other about the possibility of whether it is worth trying or not. What a pacemaker will do is help with my stomach motility. It may or may not work. So we’re waiting to hear whether or not the doctors will approve the pacemaker.
The third procedure is to put another tube called a Peg or G-Tube in my stomach. That will help me with the nausea and will help drain the gasses out of my stomach. It is very likely that I will get this tube before I come home to Texas.
The doctor told me that there is no easy fix for my situation. She said that she doesn’t know very many people that could handle not eating and doing what I’ve done. She said that I’m strong. Of course, I told her that My strength comes from Above and that I have a great support network.
Basically, even with these procedures, It’s not likely that I’ll eat normally. But if they can help the nausea, and if they can control some of the pain, I will try what they want me to. But we always have the pancreas to contend with. It could always flare up, and that’s a problem that we don’t really want to address because a pancreas surgery is so dangerous and could be life-threatening. It would be so much better just to not eat and live that way then to have my pancreas removed.
It’s a difficult thing, being told that even with surgeries and stuff, I will likely never eat normally. At this point, I’m just wanting to be able to have a bite of something every now and then. Hopefully what they do while I’m here in Maryland this time will give me that ability.
I’m very sad because it means that I’m going to be gone from my husband for a while, but we have to get this all done NOW and stop teeter-tottering with all of these trips back and forth. I want my life back, and I want to get things resolved now! But saying that, I miss my husband so much. He is my better half, my completer, and I adore Kevin. He loves me, too, and he knows that this is where I have to be. He is going to come for a visit in March, and hopefully I will have my procedures done before then or during that time. We are getting the ball rolling, but we are being realistic about things and timing.
Please pray for me while I’m here. Truthfully, I’m a bit discouraged, but that’s to be expected. I’m human! What you can pray for is first, that the Lord would Heal me if He sees fit. If not, please pray that the doctors will do the right things for me, that I won’t miss my life in Texas too much, and that my pancreas problem won’t flare up. Please pray for me as you see fit. I just want God’s will to be done in my life. I can do all things through Christ Who Strengthens me!
I love God, and I know that He’s going to be glorified no matter what. Thank you for your prayers. I know that this is complicated, but I know that Jesus is Lord, too. He can do all things. Thanks for reading this and thanks for caring enough to be my friend. I love you all.
Lots of love,
Ami

1 comment: