Thursday, November 3, 2011

Update on my Surgery...It's OVER!!!!!

Dear Friends,
Well I made it through surgery. Thank you for your prayers. I was so nervous, but I could tell that God was with me, holding me in the palm of His hand as always!! I mean it when I say THANKS for praying!!!
I had my pain pump surgery yesterday afternoon, and by all accounts, SO FAR it is a success! We hope it will continue to be okay. Right now, I am in a tremendous amount of pain because of the actual surgery. It's going to be a difficult next couple of days. I am hurting pretty intensely because of the tender spot it is in and because they had to slice open my side. It's so sore.
They inserted an 8 ounce disk that looks like a hockey puck into my right side of my abdomen. It's actually larger and heavier than I expected it to be. It's weird to think it's inside of me. Kevin and I were laughing because I have rods in my back, a tube in my stomach and a pain pump in my side. I'm turning into a robot!!
Anyway, The surgery took longer than they anticipated because they had a little bit of trouble anchoring the device inside my side. It basically had to be sutured in my side somehow so that it would stay there and not move at all. The doctor had a bit of trouble because of my tissue and the fact that I already have a feeding tube on one side. I am wearing an abdominal band, which is like a girdle, and I will have to wear it for a week straight without taking it off, and then I will have to wear it for 6 to 8 more weeks. It is holding the device in place so it doesn't move at all. It's important that it stays in place.
After the device was implanted, they threaded a catheter to my spine and the medication is continuously flowing and will provide me relief, if all is successful. It will take some adjusting to get the dosage correctly. They can set the device with their computer systems.
So basically I have to rest for the next few days. I can't lift anything AT ALL. I have to be still and I can't shower for a few days.
I ask you to PLEASE pray for a few things. First that I will not be in so much pain. I am really in a lot of pain right now from the incision and from the surgery. I hope that will go away soon. The doctors said the pump should give me relief, but they did say that it is normal to be in severe pain for the first few days after surgery, so what I am feeling is normal.
I also ask you to pray that it works and that everything goes well with the device and that there are NO complications. The doctors are concerned about infection, so I'm on medication to prevent me from healing. I really appreciate all of your prayers. I love you all. You mean so much to me. Thanks for being so concerned and reading up on my life. I will let you know how things go.
I am looking forward to a visit from my college roommate this weekend. My best friend from Pennsylvania is flying in and will be helping me recuperate! I can't wait to see her. Pray we have a great visit, too!
Thanks again for your prayers,
Ami :)

1 comment:

  1. God is so good! As you already know that, I am so thankful that all went will with your surgery and pray that he will deliver you from all this discomfort. I am sure that once you get use to regulating the pain, you will feel much better. You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers and if there is anything we can do please let us know.
    love you, angel

    ReplyDelete